We will be open and ready to welcome new and existing students at the beginning of term, from January 2022.
If you are thinking of enrolling in courses from 2022, here are some useful guidelines we have put together for students during the coronavirus epidemic:
Dates and deadlines
Due to the coronavirus epidemic, the start dates of our courses have changed: we will start later to give all our students as much time as possible to prepare for the lessons.
Courses will start on January 2022.
If you have already received an offer for a place in one of our workshops, we will send you an updated email with offers and new start and end dates for your course.
We will be open and ready to welcome all our students at the beginning of term, starting from January 2022 w.
Ensuring your safety and that of our staff is our top priority. We will follow the Italian government recommendations, including any required social distancing at our premises.
In this first term, any of the following may occur:
- a combination of onsite and online activities.
- attending alternative spaces such as studios, laboratories, libraries and other specialized facilities essential for study.
- online lessons (including lectures and tutorials) in real time and through recorded sessions.
- laboratories at our premises (if permitted by safety measures and distancing).
We are carefully planning exactly how each of our courses will be conducted and we will contact each of you to update you.
Enrolling at Laboratorio Firenze
If you haven’t already, you need to apply as soon as possible. Our application process is not affected by the coronavirus epidemic.
- Check the website as some courses have already been closed to new registrations.
- How and when you apply depends on the specific course you have chosen.
If you have commenced an application, you must meet all the requirements and deadlines. If the coronavirus outbreak has prevented you from meeting the application deadlines, please contact us as soon as possible.
Result of your application.
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, we are now reviewing online applications and will inform you of the result as soon as possible.
We’re doing our best to expedite the decision-making process regarding applications and we know it’s not easy to wait for news.
Sending your portfolio
We have extended the deadline because we know that the coronavirus outbreak may have affected the time needed to meet the admission requirements.
If you are required to present a portfolio, you have until Dicembre 2021. Keep in mind that the sooner you do, the more likely you are to start in January. In any case, we advise you to submit it as soon as possible.
If as a result of Coronavirus you have been unable to do so before the lockdown, please contact us as soon as possible to make alternative arrangements.
Results & postponement
In the event of an increase in the number of Coronavirus cases and a new lockdown affecting our premises, and in accordance with the indications given by the Italian Government, the following may occur:
For students enrolled through our partner universities and schools, courses will continue online and grades will be given on completion of the projects.
If your admission was made privately and not through one of our partners, you can request a postponement until the end of the lockdown. Maximum one year for some laboratories, for others it depends on the duration of the course in question.
Foreign students who are forced to return to their home countries can opt for online courses.
If you have been offered a place in one of our laboratories, we hope you can start with us this next academic year. We are determined not to let the coronavirus epidemic hinder the creative education and international classroom experience for which we are recognized.
If you are thinking of postponing your enrolment, you should first check the website to see if your specific course allows for a postponement. We have recently expanded the list of laboratories that allow for this.
Things to know before requesting postponement
- Whether you have an offer of a place to study with us.
- If your course allows postponement requests and you are in Italy or in the European Union you will not be able to postpone until your admission.
- If instead you have applied for an international place, and your course allows postponement, you will be able to apply before being admitted, following the evaluation of your portfolio.
- If you wish to obtain a postponement, you must make a refundable advance payment of euro 2000 for the enrolment fee.
- In case of postponement, when you are assigned the new date, you will be charged the enrolment fee for 2021/2022, which may be higher than the fee for 2020/2021.
- You can request a postponement of up to one academic year.
- If your request for a postponement is accepted but you change your mind, we unfortunately cannot guarantee an available place to start in 2020/21. It will depend on whether the course still has places available. If you change your mind after your postponement has been accepted, you must contact us immediately to assess your options.
Important information for candidates from the European Union
If you join us in 2020/21 and you qualify for European Union tuition fees, you will be charged the same fees as local Italian students.
Students from the United Kingdom who request postponement and join us in 2021/22, will no longer be able to access the same enrolment as Italian students. Higher international tuition fees may therefore apply in this case. Please consult our website for the updated fees.
If your course allows for postponement, you can apply for it, in accordance with the terms set out in our admission policy.
It is very important to understand the specific implications for UK students, starting from 2021.
How to request postponement
- Make sure your specific course allows for postponement.
- If the course envisages postponement, please contact the Laboratorio Firenze admission service as soon as possible.
- If your request for postponement is accepted and you change your mind, please contact us immediately. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that there will be space for you in 2020/21.
We recommend that you contact us as soon as you are considering making a postponement request. Don’t wait until you meet all the admission requirements to formally postpone your application so we can make sure you have all the information you need before making a decision.
English or Italian language level
To know your level of English or Italian, please send us a certificate of proficiency so we can advise you if you can apply or whether it might be difficult for you to follow the lessons. Latin American students are generally able to adapt well to lessons in Italian but it will be much easier if you have some knowledge of English or Italian.
On arrival, you may wish to take advantage of the opportunity to attend language courses. We can recommend affiliated centres where you can obtain discounts. Let us know as soon as possible so we can organize your place.
Immigration and Visas
For students from non-EU countries, remember that you need to arrange your visa and the process takes time.
If your stay is less than 3 months, you can apply for a tourist visa.
If your stay is longer, as a student of Laboratorio Firenze, we will send the necessary Italian Embassy information so that you can apply for a visa, normally in your home country. Let us know so we can send you the documents by email.
If you need our assistance with accommodation, please let us know on the request form.